Monday, January 29, 2007

RUSH and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame


Just a few weeks ago, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees were announced. Once again, the rock group RUSH was let off...more like screwed for the 8th consecutive year.

Call me old fashioned.

Go ahead and tell me that I'm living in the 70s and 80s.

You can even say that I should "get with the times" and "act like it's 2007 and not 1977 or 1987.

Feel free to slam me with the be-all and end-all of all verbal blasts: "STOP LIVING IN THE PAST". My mom is famous for that one as she frequently points out my father's ever-persistant residence in 1958. (The parallels between me and my dad and our subconscious ability to live vicariously around the time of our younger years are frightening as I am finding out as I get older.)

Anyway, I have no idea who the people are that nominate the inductees. But I can assure you that they are clueless.

Look, either you love Rush or you hate them. They never made music that was mushy or mainstream. They created songs that were complex, sometimes lengthy with unique if not abstract melodies containing different movements while alternating time signatures. The lyrics to most of their music especially the songs from the 70s and early 80s might seem emotionless to the casual listener but I argue the contrary. How many rock songs are allegories? Not many.

Their lyrical style shifted in the 1980s to more cerebral topics that explored social issues and metaphysical elements. If anything, the lyrics made you think and appreciate the fact that it was a rock group that composed these stanzas. That in and of itself worthy of something.

Rush has had more consecutive gold and platnium albums than ANY other group in rock history except The Bettles, Rolling Stones, KISS and Aerosmith. That's very exclusive company.

Their lineup hasn't changed for 33 years.

Neil Peart has been voted best rock drummer EIGHT TIMES.

Getty Lee and Alex Lifeson also have numerous awards for their bass and guitar playing.

In 2004, they were on the list of top selling live acts.

Many current bands like Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Dream Theater and a host of others have included Rush as the band that influenced them.

So forgive me for living in the past. Maybe my taste in music is a bit passe now. I enjoy some of the bands that are popular now. Contrary to what my wife thinks, I'm not completely locked in 1983. All I ask is that Rush be inshrined in rock immortality. An award that they rightfully deserve.

3 comments:

The Lorax said...

Living in the limelight is better than living in the past.

That's all I have today... now, I get to take apart a garbage disposal with my bare hands.

lmsabol said...

you failed to mention the late great john bonham of zeppelin. i would have love to have seen he and getty in a drum-off in the 70's.

Anonymous said...

lauren - getty is spelled Geddy and he is the bass player and vocalist. Neil Peart is the drummer.