Wednesday, January 04, 2012

What About this 2011-12 La Nina...Is it Different from Last Year?

I created an animated Sea Surface Temperature map comparing last year from early October 2010 to early January 2011. Notice the streak of blue and purple in the middle of the map. That's the classic La Nina signature. Also, check out the warm pocket in the northwestern Pacific and the cooler water to the east of it. THE WARM POCKET SEEMS WEAK... 


This year, the La Nina signature doesn't seem as strong. Perhaps more importantly, THE WARM POCKET IN THE WESTERN PACIFIC IS STRONGER although it is showing signs of fluctuating.



The weaker La Nina and the strength and position of the warm pool in the western Pacific, I believe, have played a large role in the storm paths across the US and over Ohio.  Last year, we had prolonged cold.  This year, only one day below freezing in December. 

La Nina is peaking which means that other factors will come into play in the months ahead. Will we be able to get the Christmas decoration down due to the snow and cold? Will sledding at Virginia Kendall Park in Peninsula we possible?  Will we see more of the grass than snow cover? More later this week


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, La Nina is different this year. But in my opinion, other places can keep the snow! I live in southern Ashtabula county, and the snow we got on Monday is enough for me! My kid's will probably disagree, but I don't care!

Anonymous said...

Scott you seem like a nice guy but your alarmist predictions beginning in October of a horrendous winter have gotten quite old at this point. You were wrong. Quit trying to scare people & report the (mild) weather.

Scott Sabol said...

I like to bring up what have factors have contributed to our winter so far and what might bring in cold.

I never said this was to be a harsh winter. What we all said at FOX 8 was that it would start out cold which hasn't happened. Our final outlook was for an average winter when it was all said and done.

Emm Fena said...

Thanks Scott! You are always the one I go to when seeking more of an in-depth explanation of NE Ohio's weird weather. I'm just bummed that I haven't had more of a chance to use my Blizzak winter tires! This is my 4th winter here in Cleveland (originally from Nevada) and finally armed my vehicle this winter. Just my luck that this season has been mild so far. I'm actually anticipating winter weather very eagerly! So thanks to you, now I know (and sort of hope) that we have more lake effect to come! You are the only meteorologist I have watched and trusted since moving here in 2008. Thank you, and keep up the good work!