|Photo by Elsa/Getty Images|
* Opponents are batting more than 200 points HIGHER against Allen with runners in scoring position than last year.
RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION2017: 69 50 0.226 1 2 16
GAMES PLATE APPEARANCES OPP AVG. 2B HR RBI
2018: 32 44 0.432 3 1 14
* Allen's has already walked 15 batters in 32 games. Last year his total was 21 with double the number of games pitched.
RESULTS WITH COUNTS 3-0, 3-1, 3-22017: 69 8-32 (0.250) 21 12 6 4 6
GAMES HITS/AB BB SO RBI HR R
2018: 32 4-18 (0.222) 15 4 2 1 2 (THRU JULY 11)
* Allen's velocity has steadily dropped from its peak in 2013 to its present level similar to last season
* Yet opponents are also swinging and missing significantly more this season
* Batters are not swinging and missing at pitches up in the zone as much as last year
However he is still throwing pitches in roughly the same locations regardless of the batter
The result has been more fly balls this season than in any other season
Expected slugging percentage (formulated using exit velocity and launch angle from statcast) shows an increase from last year.
The increase in flyballs and expected slugging percentage is probably due to pitch location. His primary pitches (fourseam fastball and curveball) are higher in the zone this year vs 2017.
He has made adjustments to right handed batters this year and its showed. The real damage has been done on the other side of the plate where lefties are enjoying a large increase in OPS. 4 homeruns so far thru July 11th versus only 1 last year. 15 hits in roughly half the number of at bats.
Why is this happening? He's leaving the ball over the plate more this year to lefties.
AB H HR RBI AVG OPS
2017 LEFTIES 110 23 1 7 0.209 0.545
AB H HR RBI AVG OPS
2018 LEFTIES 59 15 4 10 0.254 0.871 (THRU JULY 11)
The frequency of balls GROOVED (right over the plate) is higher with both his fourseam fastball and curveball. The increase is more pronounced with the fourseam.
The bottom line is Cody Allen is less effective when he doesn't locate his two pitches. This is essential now versus other years due to his decline in velocity. He needs to make adjustments DOWN in the zone especially to left handed hitter or the second half of the season will be more of the same