|Lake Erie ice coverage - Photo Courtesy: Scott Sabol, January 2011|
|High Resolution Satellite - March 8,2019|
It took a while but I finally finished plotting the daily Lake Erie ice coverage for each season since 1972. I separated this into month periods starting with November and ending with May. This is all color coded.
- Light blue blocks indicates ice coverage under 1%
- Bright blue is 2% to 10%
- Dark Blue is 11% to 25%
- Purple is 26% to 50%
- Pink is 51% to 74%
- White indicates at least 75% coverage
You'll notice several things here:
- Significant ice typically doesn't develop until late December.
- Mid/late 1970s AND the early 2000s stand out as the most significant ice coverage period in January and early Februar
- First half of February is typically the peak for ice coverage
- November 23, 2014 was the earliest ice cover
- May 17, 1982 was the latest ice cover
The entire graphic assembled through winter of 2018-19