Wednesday, December 02, 2020

First BIG snowfall of the season!

My previous post written before Thanksgiving illustrated the strong possibility of a significant snow. The pattern has been ripe for this type of event. Sometimes the large scale pattern doesn't always translate to a big weather event locally so I'm glad the outlook and subsequent forecast worked out. 

I try to enjoy forecasting success. I'll remind everyone on social media when we get it right.  I also know full well that long range and short range forecast failure will eventually give me a reality check. When that happens I always own it. I find out what I missed or didn't utilize. It's filed away so I can use it as a forecasting tool in the future.)

Here is the entire radar loop showing the widespread snow December 1st and the lake enhancement/lake effect at the end.




The 9.5" at Hopkins Airport was the 12th most single-day snowfall since record keeping began at the airport around 1940 and 15th since 1900. The list below shows Hopkins Airport snow numbers AND the downtown snow numbers which is from ~1890s to roughly 1940.







Here is the entire snowfall total list for northern Ohio



No comments: